Common Myths About Irish Quotes. _Even if you’re not Irish or have never stepped foot in Ireland, if you live in a city where St. Patrick’s Day is celebrated, you’ve experienced the excitement that surrounds the festivities. From family-friendly parades to not-so-family-friendly amounts of green beer, it’s tough not to feel the enthusiasm — the Chicago River even turns fully green on the day some people affectionately call St. Paddy’s.
But beyond the cultural celebration that takes place on March 17 and its religious origins, Irish culture has also brought us many wise sayings and proverbs. You’ve probably even used some of them without realizing they stemmed from Irish folkore.
So in honor of the holiday, we’ve compiled a list of the most inspiring Irish proverbs and sayings.
Here are 12 inspirational Irish quotes to remember long after St. Patrick’s Day has passed.
- It’s easy to halve the potato where there’s love.
- I complained that I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet.
- May you have the hindsight to know where you’ve been, the foresight to know where you are going, and the insight to know when you have gone too far.
- A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures.
- Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
- Don’t be breaking your shin on a stool that’s not in your way.
- May you get all your wishes but one, so that you will always have something to strive for!
- May you be poor in misfortune, rich in blessings, slow to make enemies and quick to make friends. And may you know nothing but happiness from this day forward.
- If you buy what you don’t need you might have to sell what you do.
- You’ll never plough a field by turning it over in your mind.
- Always remember that hindsight is the best insight to foresight.
- There’s no need to fear the wind if your haystacks are tied down.
Thanks for reading my favorite Irish Quotes. I wish you a great year and hope you can find these quotes whenever you need a boost, so you can confidently crush every challenge or goal you set for yourself.
You can also share your favorites quotes on facebook or send them to a friend who can use them as encouragement. Thank you!