Looking for the best quotes of George Eliot? (1819 – 1880) fully Mary Anne Evans is a pseudonym she used to prevent discrimination faced by women of her time. She is one of the most popular writers for European fiction.
She wrote seven novels, including Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, Romola, Daniel Deronda, and Middlemarch, and although all of them are known for their realism and high psychological insight. The words of this stunning timeless writer, poet, and journalist provide inspiration, motivation, and wisdom about human nature in our everyday lives.
Below you will find out the best collection of inspirational and wise quotes from George Eliot. Let’s go!
- Keep true. Never be ashamed of doing right. Decide what you think is right and stick to it.
- Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another.__ George Eliot Quotes
- Animals are such agreeable friends – they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms.
- Wear a smile and have friends; wear a scowl and have wrinkles.
- Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
- Hold up your head! You were not made for failure, you were made for victory. Go forward with a joyful confidence.
- It is a narrow mind which cannot look at a subject from various points of view.__ Middlemarch Quotes
- Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.
- One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.
- And, of course men know best about everything, except what women know better.
- Pride helps; and pride is not a bad thing when it only urges us to hide our hurts — not to hurt others.
- The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.__ George Eliot Middlemarch Quotes
- It seems to me we can never give up longing and wishing while we are thoroughly alive. There are certain things we feel to be beautiful and good, and we must hunger after them.
- The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us, and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.
- Adventure is not outside man; it is within.
- It is good to be unselfish and generous; but don’t carry that too far. It will not do to give yourself to be melted down for the benefit of the tallow-trade; you must know where to find yourself.
- It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.__ George Eliot Love Quotes
- Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love.
- Be courteous, be obliging, but don’t give yourself over to be melted down for the benefit of the tallow trade.
- The reward of one duty is the power to fulfill another.
- A friend is one to whom one may pour out the contents of one’s heart, chaff and grain together, knowing that gentle hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.
- Don’t judge a book by its cover.__ Eliot Famous Quotes
- Gossip is a sort of smoke that comes from the dirty tobacco-pipes of those who diffuse it: it proves nothing but the bad taste of the smoker.
- Our deeds determine us, as much as we determine our deeds.
- It is surely better to pardon too much, than to condemn too much.
As you read these 25 quotes by George Eliot, realize that they can be a sources of guidance during the times you need and can motivate you when you have a problem.
Neither success nor failure is finite. That’s the motivation you choose to make the biggest difference.
- Quotes by Herman Melville [20 Quotes On Love, Life & Death]
- Edmund Burke Quotes [22 Quotes On Democracy & Human Nature]
- George R.R. Martin Quotes [25 Quotes On Books, Writing & Fantasy]
- Louisa May Alcott Quotes [20 Quotes About Love, Life & Beauty]
- Quotes by Henry Miller [25 Quotes About Love, Life & Beauty]
- Quotes by Tina Fey [22 Quotes About Life, Love & Beauty]
- Quotes by Tony Stark [Top 21 Quotes Funny W. Pictures]
- Quotes by Anthony Hopkins [21 Quotes On Life, Love & Happiness]
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Quotes [25 Quotes On Love & Happiness]
- Quotes by Victor Hugo [25 Quotes On Love, Life & Education]