Quotes by Henry Miller _ Henry Miller, (born December 26, 1891, New York City, died June 7, 1980, Pacific Palisades, Calif., US), American writer, and the Persistent Alternative has autobiographical novels. achieving humor – especially about sex – made him a liberator of influence in mid-20th-century literature.
He is also famous for his free and easy American style and a gift for comedy comes from his willingness to admit other people’s feelings to conceal and accept the bad almost along with the good.
Because of their sexual frankness, his main works were banned in England and the United States until the 1960s, but they were widely known earlier from copies smuggled from France.
Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous quotes by Henry Miller. Enjoy!
Here are 25 Henry Miller quotes on the secret of living joyously.
- I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive.
- No sorrows, no regrets. No past, no future. The present is enough for me. Day by day. Today!
- Destiny is what you are supposed to do in life. Fate is what kicks you in the ass to make you do it.
- True strength lies in submission which permits one to dedicate his life, through devotion, to something beyond himself.
- Life has to be given a meaning because of the obvious fact that it has no meaning.
- The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
- The man who is forever disturbed about the condition of humanity either has no problems of his own or has refused to face them.
- If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having.
- The one thing we can never get enough of is love. And the one thing we never give enough of is love.
- Everybody says sex is obscene. The only true obscenity is war.
- Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves.
- To be joyous is to be a madman in a world of sad ghosts.
- It’s good to be just plain happy, it’s a little better to know that you’re happy; but to understand that you’re happy and to know why and how and still be happy, be happy in the being and the knowing, well that is beyond happiness, that is bliss.
- Surely everyone realizes, at some point along the way, that he is capable of living a far better life than the one he has chosen.
- People are like lice – they get under your skin and bury themselves there. You scratch and scratch until the blood comes, but you can’t get permanently deloused.
- It is with the soul that we grasp the essence of another human being, not with the mind, nor even with the heart.
- I found that what I had desired all my life was not to live – if what others are doing is called living – but to express myself.
- The world is not to be put in order. The world is order. It is for us to put ourselves in unison with this order.
- Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end.
- I made up my mind that I would hold onto nothing, that I would expect nothing.
- Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music – the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.
- One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.
- Let me be, was all I wanted. Be what I am, no matter how I am.
- Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
- Whatever there be of progress in life comes not through adaptation but through daring.
As you read these 25 Quotes by Henry Miller, realize that they can be a sources of guidance during the times you need and can motivate you when you have a problem.
Neither success nor failure is finite. That’s the motivation you choose to make the biggest difference.