Looking For The Best Quotes Of James Baldwin? (1924 -1987) is an African American writer and civil rights activist. His best known novel is Go and Say It on the Mountain.
The main Baldwin’s work are racism and sexuality in the United States in the mid-20th century. His novels explore in a personal way the issues of collective identity, and jeopardize social pressures towards black and gay collectives, long before the social, cultural and political equality of these groups had been achieved in their country.
On the special occasion of 96th anniversary of his birth, we collected 30 of his most inspiring quotes to understand the importance of his work and the strength of his words for the fight for the rights and equality of African-Americans and homosexuals in the US. Are you ready?
- “You cannot change everything you are facing, but nothing can be changed until you face it.”
- The purpose of education…is to create in a person the ability to look at the world for himself, to make his own decisions. (James Baldwin Quotes)
- “Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up.”
- “The war would end if the dead could return.”
- “The only thing white men have that blacks want, or should want, is power, and no one has power forever.”
- “Life is tragic, simply because the earth rotates and the sun inexorably sets and sets, and one day, for each of us, the sun will pass to the last, the last time.”
- “To be a black in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.”
- “The most dangerous creation in any society is the man who has nothing to lose.”
- “The reason people think it is important to be white is that I think it is important not to be black.”
- “The power of the white world is threatened every time a black man refuses to accept the definitions of the white.”
- “Hate, which could destroy so much, could not destroy the man he hated, and this was an immutable law.”
- “Above talent are common values: discipline, love, good luck, but, above all, tenacity.”(Baldwin Quotes)
- “You think your pain and anguish are unprecedented in world history, but then you read.”
- “Perhaps I did not succumb to ideology … because I have never seen myself as a spokesman. I am a witness.”
- “The place in which I’ll fit will not exist until I make it.”
- “Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.”
- “You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read.”
- “Not everything that is faced can be changed. But nothing can be changed until it is faced.”
- “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.”
- “Perhaps home is not a place but simply an irrevocable condition.”
- “Anyone who has struggled with poverty knows how extremely expensive it is to be poor.”
- “You cannot change everything you are facing, but nothing can be changed until you face it.” (James Baldwin Love Quotes)
- “Freedom is not something that anybody can be given. Freedom is something people take, and people are as free as they want to be”.
- “One must say Yes to life, and embrace it wherever it is found – and it is found in terrible places.”
- “Art would not be important if life were not important, and life is important.”
- “Generations do not cease to be born, and we are responsible to them because we are the only witnesses they have.”
- Neither love nor terror makes one blind: indifference makes one blind.
- A liberal: someone who thinks he knows more about your experience than you do.
- You have to decide who you are and force the world to deal with you, not with its idea of you.
Thanks for reading my favorite quotes from James Baldwin. I wish you a great year and hope you can find these quotes whenever you need a boost, so you can confidently crush every challenge or goal you set for yourself.
You can also share your favorites quotes on facebook or send them to a friend who can use them as encouragement. Thank you!
- 85 Freaky Love Quotes Will Spice Up Your Relationship
- 25 Agatha Christie Quotes On Writing, Love & Marriage
- 25 Virginia Woolf Quotes On Books, Writing & Reading
- 45 Funny Quotes About Age & Maturity For The Elderly
- 25 Louise Hay Quotes On Healing & Gratitude
- 25 Short & Cute Quotes About Love For Her
- 35 Funniest Freaky Quotes Send To Your Boyfriend
- 40 Short And Funny Quotes On Life, Love & Happiness
- 35 Philosophical Quotes Uttered By Great Thinkers
- 25 Racism Quotes Will Inspire You To Take Action