Looking For The Best Quotes On Memorial Day? Observed on every year’s last Monday of May, the Memorial Day is an American holiday that honors all men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. military. Originally called as Decoration Day, it’s hard to say exactly the origins of this tradition since the decoration of soldiers’ graves with flowers is an ancient custom practiced worldwide.
However, the Decoration Day was first held on the 30th of May 1868, the day was chosen by General John A. Logan and it initially honored only those who lost their lives in the Civil War. 100 years later, the holiday would become known as Memorial Day to commemorate all the American people who died in all wars. On Memorial Day, Americans attend one of the numerous military parades and ceremonies, and visit cemeteries and memorials to pay homage to the men and women who have died in wars or in the service of their country.
Here are 17 Memorial Day quotes to honor American heroes. Check it out!
- Those that die for a good cause… hover as a cloud of witnesses over the nation. — Henry Ward Beecher
- There is nothing nobler than risking your life for your country. – Nick Lampson “Quotes on Memorial Day“
- As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter the words, but to live by them. – John F. Kennedy
- For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue. — James A. Garfield
- The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example. – Benjamin Disraeli
- A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. – Joseph Campbell
- I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. – Nathan Hale “Quotes on Memorial Day
- The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude. — Jeff Miller
- Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them. – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived. – George S. Patton
- The brave die never, though they sleep in dust, their courage nerves a thousand living men. — Minot J. Savage
- My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. – John F. Kennedy
- If silence is ever golden, it must be here beside the graves of fifteen thousand men, whose lives were more significant than speech, and whose death was a poem, the music of which can never be sung. — James Garfield “Quotes on Memorial Day
- It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle. — Norman Schwarzkopf
- On Memorial Day, I don’t want to only remember the combatants. There were also those who came out of the trenches as writers and poets, who started preaching peace, men and women who have made this world a kinder place to live. — Eric Burdon
- How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes! – Maya Angelou
- Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored. — Daniel Webster
Okay, that’s a lot of Quotes on Memorial Day! If you haven’t, let make sure to bookmark this quotes now and go back to the page, and try create a better habit every time when you need an inspiration or motivation.
One other thing: did you notice some recurring topics throughout these 17 Quotes on Memorial Day? So what are the most outstanding quotes for you? Comment below!
- Quotes for Happy Anniversary [Top 25 Anniversary Quotes Funny]
- 4th of July Quotes [25+ USA Independence Day Quotes]
- Juneteenth Quotes [Best Sayings About Emancipation From Slavery 2019]
- Father Day Quotes From Daughter [Top 55 Quotes]
- Father Day Quotes From Wife [ Stunning Examples 2019]
- Funny Quotes On Father’s Day [Omg! The Best Quotes Ever]
- Quotes For Veteran [Quotes To Remind Us The Cost Of Freedom]
- Veterans Day Quotes [24 Quotes To Say Thank You To Our Military]
- Quotes for Wedding [28 Beautiful Quotes For Couples]